Heart Smart (Cardiac Rehab)
All clients following a heart event or diagnosis of a heart condition are recommended by the National Heart Foundation to attend a Cardiac Rehabilitation program.
The Heartsmart Program at Macedon Ranges Health is a client centered program that supports clients with heart disease to live independent and active lives.
The program encourages lifestyle changes as a very important part of recovery, that may reduce further risk of heart problems and where carers and families are included as part of this process.
The Goals of our Program is to:
- Improve/regain your physical fitness.
- Increase your understanding of heart disease, and
- Provide support for lifestyle changes that we encourage.
Heartsmart is a six week program held on Wednesdays at Gisborne from 10am—12.30pm and our team consists of experienced health professionals that provide comprehensive education and achievable exercise sessions designed to optimise recovery.
We encourage participants to continue being active. There are many options available in the community and they can be discussed during and upon completion of the program.
Community Health Nurse, Physiotherapist, Exercise Leader and Volunteer, Occupational Therapist, Dietitian, Pharmacist and Counsellor.
All clients who have had a recent cardiac event or are seeking a preventative approach for Heart Disease are eligible for referral.
Referrals are accepted from your attending hospital, or your local doctor or you can even self-refer to this program.
Starting Heart Smart
- Prior to attending the program an assessment is required with the nurse and the physiotherapist
- Partners/family are welcome to attend with the client - nil cost.
- Please wear comfortable clothing suitable for light/moderate exercise.
- Exercise capabilities can differ for clients and this is reviewed by the physiotherapist at the time of assessment—pre-program exercise participation.
Total fee for 6 weeks is $60.00 or $10.00 per session from beginning of 2017 payable to MRH Reception.